Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Health Update

When I started this blog I mentioned posting my own personal fitness stats. I haven't updated in a while due to multiple tests, quizzes, projects, and presentations at my school. Contracting a horrible cold didn't help matters either. I figured this would be a nice filler until I can get a real post written.

I'm 6'2 and 185 pounds.
I'm currently benching a maximum of about 240 pounds on the flat bench. I have a steady heart rate around 60 BPM.
I focus primarily on weight training and haven't hit the track recently but the last time I ran I did 2 miles without timing. I'm going to begin training for a 5k soon so I'll have some better running stats soon.

Here's a little advice regarding illness.
I contracted a terrible cold on Monday October 12. It is now October 14 and I have fully recovered. I'll share my some helpful tips for a fast recovery.



When you're dealing with most illnesses in your head, nose, and throat area, there are a few basic guidelines you should follow:
1. Get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep. Even if it means calling in sick to your boss or professor it will be worth it in the long run. Your body will not function at full healing capacity if it cannot recharge.

2. Avoid dairy products like the plague. You may equate dairy with smooth and soothing, but when you consume dairy your body increases its production of mucus. When you have an abundant supply dripping down your throat and nose I don't think you'll want to be making any more.

3. Stay far away from sugars. Sugar suppresses your immune system (IS) so you shouldn't be eating it. The only sugar you should be eating is from real 100% fruit products. Fruits are naturally full of vitamins and antioxidants that can aid your IS. Make sure whatever fruit product you consume does not have added sugar or High Fructose Corn Syrup. This will only put a damper on your body.

4. Drink a lot of water.

5. Drink a lot of water! I know forcing fluids down your throat is unpleasant if you have a sore throat, but it's completely worth it. The more you go to the bathroom the better. This gives your body the chance to flush out your system of any undesirables. Also, the more water you have the quicker everything in your body works. This will allow your IS to function at full capacity.

6. Take vitamin supplements. Most people know that Vitamin C will help your IS, but not everyone knows that Vitamin C is water soluble and you cannot overdose with it. I take 3-4 1000 mg doses of Vitamin C a day when I feel a cold coming my way. Recent studies have shown that Vitamin D also aids in fighting sickness. Be careful with D. You can get too much in your system.

7. (unconfirmed) This is just my personal preference, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't like having caffeine in my body when I'm fighting an illness. It increases your heart rate and blood flow so you may think that it would help your body work faster, but I always feel lousy after it wears off. If you like drinking hot beverages when you're sick you should stick to decaf teas and coffee, not the regular.


1 comment: